In my last post I commented that God has been bringing our family into a new season. This is exciting and scary all at the same time. If M were here he'd tell me to keep this post short, sweet, and to the point....but I'm the one writing. So, grab some hot cocoa and get comfy...this may get long.
This January our sermon series started of with a familiar story about Abraham. God calls Abraham to go, even though he has got no clue where...Abraham follows by faith. I heard the sermon, but just like the other times I have heard it, I thought...nice. Probably talking about others...maybe missionaries, maybe. Then I started a Bible Study group and our first lesson was about...you guessed it, Abraham! God calls him to go in faith, and he does. Hmmm, I start to say. That's kinda odd timing. Now I've heard the same thing twice. Uncanny. Then, I attend a Ladies Night Out at Church to hear a speaker talk about, Raising Godly Children in an Ungodly World. She is a familiar person who taught at the same school I do, so I thought I would go and see if she gives the school a little "plug". God showed up to surprise me again! Instead she talked about how she taught for 6 years and then God broke her heart to be at home and invest time into the lives of her own children.
I have to say the wheels in my head started turning. A HUGE thanks to God for being patient with even the slowest of learners. =)
I went home that night and mentioned to M that I thought that God was calling me in faith to take a new direction, possibly be at home with the boys next year. M, like me said, "Are you sure? Maybe he means ____." I half heartedly agreed and kept praying for God to just make it even more clear.
Please understand...I love my job. I get to teach other children about God and experience them growing in Him each day. I see it as my ministry and God has given me drive and passion for this occupation. I also am DEEPLY IN LOVE with my boys. All three of them.
So maybe this really was more of a comfort vs. uncomfortable issue. What I felt God was calling me to wasn't on my planner. I hadn't scheduled for this to happen. Little by little God had been doing a work in my heart. He helped even the most rigid of planners like me to let Him have my planner.
I began to pray that God would begin to reveal this same passion to M as well. I was definately not prepared for what happened next. That night, after I had prayed for M's heart to be hearing the same nudgings of God, he came home and said, "I would love for you to be at home with the boys next year".
Whoa. Hold up. I wasn't expecting an answer that quickly God.
Though there are many more details I think you know the most important ones. God has called me to devote my time to my family next year. Even though that may mean great sacrafice, He is calling me to be faithful. I am so greatful that my mission field remains the same, the hearts of the little ones He loves. God is good...all the time! I began to have conversations with my boss about what this could mean. He wasn't quite as ready for me to step away yet. Ok, so that was not what I expected.
Unfortunatly, I can not claim the faith of Abraham. I still tried to hang on to the financial security there was with my job and loving that fact that I was greatly appreciated and wanted where I was.
God knows best though. Just at the start of the week, my boss came to me and said that they were going to have to cut one staff position, and wondering if I was still feeling that tug, or if indeed I wanted to stay put.
Ok, Lord....slow learner I am, I got it. So, I told him I was that person that was to be gone next year, but I would be praying that after an exciting new season of being at home with my boys for ???? years I would be asking God to return me to my job.
So, that's it. A lady who was called to faith, but needed a little shove.
Yeah! So exciting! Welcome to the club!
ReplyDeleteMaria, you and Matt are so faithful and God will bless that. Your story and steps are encouraging and one day when you tell your boys this story their faith will also be encouraged! We are praying for you as you transition and excited to see what this new season brings!
ReplyDelete